About Bahrain

By | April 23, 2022

Despite its relative high cost and modest size, Bahrain attracts foreign tourists from all over the world, because even avid travelers can replenish their collection of impressions here. Bahrain offers guests a unique ancient culture dating back to the distant 3000 BC, exotic nature with sand dunes, camels and oases and the legendary Formula 1 racing! By the way, according to legend, it was here that the Paradise Gardens of Eden were once located.

Geography of Bahrain

According to smber, Bahrain occupies the archipelago of the same name in the western part of the Persian Gulf. The area of ​​the country is only 750 km², it is the smallest and also the only island Arab state in the world. In total, Bahrain consists of 33 islands, the most important of them is Bahrain, it is the only one created from limestone, the rest of the islands are of coral origin. In the center of the island of Bahrain there is a small plateau 30-35 meters high, the highest point in the country – 134 meters above sea level, Mount Ed-Duhan. The main part of the state is occupied by deserts, fresh water sources are more often in the sea than on land. The coastline in the country is 161 kilometers long.




The area of Bahrain is 750 km. sq., occupies 184th place in the world in terms of area.


1 234 571


The official currency is the Bahraini Dinar (BHD).


Official language – Arabic

Visa to Bahrain

The visa regime in Bahrain is quite convenient for Russians, they can get a tourist visa on arrival for about 15 US dollars (5 BHD). Such a visa is valid for 14 days, however, if desired, it can be easily extended for the same period at the immigration service of the country. To obtain a visa on arrival, you will need a valid passport for the duration of your visit to Bahrain, a return ticket to Russia or a third country, hotel reservations and proof of financial solvency. Other types of visas to Bahrain, as well as tourist visas, can be obtained online on the Internet, as well as at the Consulate of the country.

Weather in Bahrain

Bahrain has a dry, tropical climate. Winters here are dry and warm (+8…+20°С), and summers are very hot and humid (+37…+45°С). The period from October to April is the best time to visit the country. The average amount of precipitation per year is 90mm, sandstorms are not uncommon in winter.

Currency exchange in Bahrain

The local currency in Bahrain is the Bahraini dinar (BHD), which is equal to 100 fils and is very stable. You can exchange currency everywhere: at the airport, banks, exchange offices and private exchange shops. In exchange offices, the exchange rate is most often more profitable; when exchanging currency in private establishments, carefully recalculate the amount issued: they can often cheat here. Credit cards are accepted in many major stores and restaurants, travel checks and cards can be cashed easily at any bank. Bank branches are open from Saturday to Wednesday from 07:30 to 12:00 and from 15:30 to 17:30. On Thursdays, opening hours are reduced to 11:00.


Mains voltage 230V, 50Hz. Type G sockets, British: two flat horizontal and one flat vertical pin.


There is freedom of religion in Bahrain, but the vast majority of the population, about 85% of citizens, are Muslims. The remaining 15% profess Christianity, Hinduism and Parsism (Zoroastrianism). Muslims in the country are quite loyal.


Bahrain has the lowest crime rate in the region, even petty crimes are extremely rare here, the police strictly monitor the order. Since Bahrain is the most liberal in the region, but a Muslim country, it is worth paying special respect to local customs and traditions. Girls are advised to wear closed clothes (covering the knees, elbows and, of course, the neckline), swimwear and short shorts are only allowed on the private hotel beach or in the pool. Do not take pictures of local residents without their permission, especially women. Palaces, military installations, oil and gas enterprises and government offices are prohibited from photographing. Money, food and everything else in Bahrain should be taken / given only with the right hand, the left is considered unclean, and its use can be regarded as disrespectful.


Before traveling to Bahrain, it is recommended to get vaccinated against typhoid and hepatitis B, as well as take out full international health insurance. Only emergency care is provided free of charge in the country, and for all other medical services, although of the highest quality, you will have to pay quite a lot. All tap water is chlorinated, and in hotels it is subjected to additional filtration, but it is still better to use bottled water for drinking. Most milk is sold unpasteurized, and it is advisable to boil it before use! Protect yourself carefully from the sun’s rays with hats, sunscreen and quality glasses.

About Bahrain