Marshall Islands Old History

By | January 2, 2023

Marshall Islands is an independent nation in Micronesia. With the capital city of Majuro, Marshall Islands 2020 population is estimated at 59,201 according to countryaah. Prior to the arrival of the Europeans in the 16th century, the Marshallese lived in small chiefdom, often in feud with one another. During the following centuries, the islands remained under Spanish, German and Japanese domination until the United States conquered the territory in 1944.

The first residents of the Marshall Islands were probably Micronesian peoples who began to settle on the islands about 4,000 years ago, but the data vary. They named the atolls for “Aelon Kein Ad” (Our Islands). The indigenous people were skilled navigators and made long journeys at sea in their rigged canoes. The islands were ruled by local chiefs with absolute power over the small chiefdom.

  • AbbreviationFinder.org: Comprehensive guide to and popular abbreviations of Marshall Islands, covering history, economy, and social conditions.

Portuguese world sailor Ferdinand Magellan crossed the islands in 1521, but they were a bit off the beaten track and did not receive much attention during the following centuries. However, Spain formally claimed the islands from 1592. The Marshall Islands got its name in connection with the passing of the British seaman William Marshall in the late 18th century. American electorate used the islands as bases during the 19th century and in the middle of the same century German trading companies began activities in the area. In 1886 the Vatican gave Spain sovereignty over the islands, but through a purchase agreement they became a German protectorate in 1899. For Marshall Islands political system, please check diseaseslearning.

At the outbreak of the First World War in 1914, Japan occupied the Marshall Islands and built several large military bases there. Six years later, the Japanese were formally mandated by the United Nations’ forerunner of the League of Nations to administer the area.